Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Banana Bread


Banana bread was a staple in our house growing up. Toasted with butter for breakfast or plain for a snack anytime. Today we go through spurts of banana bread making. Some days the kiddos have the banana munchies and there isn't a banana in site. When they are past their banana cravings and we have a few around to get brown and speckled I get baking.

Typically I alternate between 3 or 4 tried and true recipes depending upon my mood. This one is from my mom and the recipe I use when I decide to bake at the last minute. It doesn't call for softened butter so it's possible to make when the mood strikes!

The kiddos have recently been in a no-banana eating phase so I have a stock pile of bananas in the freezer. Have you ever frozen your bananas? No? It's great! I use them to thicken and freeze up smoothies and for baking as they come out nice and mushy so there is little mashing to do! Any, I digress...

So first things first, peel the cold slippery suckers. Mash and let stand at room temperature.

In a large bowl, mix together the sugar, eggs and oil. (Like my new green spatula? I LOVE it!)


Stir in the mashed bananas.

Sift the flour and baking soda on top. You don't really have to sift if you have lump free baking soda. The box I have has been open for a while so sifting is a must!

Stir until flour is well incorporated. Pour batter into a well-greased bread pan and bake for 45-55 minutes.

When toothpick inserted into bread comes out crumb-less the bread is done. I love it sliced warm. Yum!
Banana Bread

Ingredients:

1 c. sugar
2 eggs
1/2 c. oil
2 bananas, mashed
1 1/4 c. flour
1 t. baking soda
pinch of salt

Directions:

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a bread pan and set aside.

In a large bowl cream together the sugar, eggs and oil. Add in the mashed bananas. Stir well.

Sift on top of the banana mixture the flour, baking soda and salt. Stir until well incorporated. Pour into prepared pan and bake for 45-55 minutes or until tester comes out clean. When cooled, slice and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment