Saturday, September 1, 2012

Rice Pots


In the Chinese culture calling someone a rice pot can be an insult (calling them dumb) or a sort-of backhanded endearment. I call myself a Rice Pot Mama since the whole world of stay-at-home moms is new to me and I've definitely had some dumb moments. I've been a stay-at-home mom for a little over a year and have had quite the learning curve. Here are a few things I've learned:
  1. No matter how hard you try there will always be toys on the floor.
  2. Patience is definitely a virtue which I need to learn to have more of.
  3. If your kiddos ask about something tell them as much as they need to know, not more. Big explainations are lost on them.
  4. When putting underwear on a little boy it's best to do it with a hand at his front and a hand at his rear. This will avoid snapping the elastic of the underwear on a certain part of the little guy's anatomy.
  5. Baby girls born with a lot of hair maybe cute but it's nearly impossible to keep it looking nice. They yank out hair clips.
  6. Schedules are important but it's not the end of the world if you waiver.
  7. Breakfast is essential. Don't skip it.
  8. When kiddos are on the slender side if they drop food down their shirts don't be surprised to find said food in their underwear or diaper later.
  9. Most Chinese don't have long eyelashes. My kiddos were lucky to take after their daddy and have gorgeous eyelashes. One downside, they do get in the way. Many baby sunglasses will actually smush their eyelashes making it impossible to blink.
  10. Never buy huge loud flashing toys for kids. Whoever you buy them for will buy them for you when you have kids. And they'll make sure they are bigger and louder then the ones you bought them!
I'm still learning daily. For instance, this morning I learned when your 3-year old wants to practice cutting with scissors check the paper he wants to cut before he starts. All I can say is good things most companies have electronic copies of bills now!

I fully acknowledge I've made mistakes but hopefully none that will scar the kiddos for life. Luckily I have some amazing role models to look up to and who offer fabulous advice.

Thanks to all of you. You know who you are!

Love,
Rice Pot Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment