Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Chewy Ginger Molasses Cookies


My hubby's grandmother will be turning 95 this August. Last week she told me "whatever you bake I will probably eat." I can take a hint. I asked her what she wanted me to bake..."a potato". No joke. I figure at her age she can say and do whatever she pleases. She's earned it. Needless to say I went home to bake her a potato. I figured I should probably make something sweet too so I made chewy Ginger Molasses Cookies.

First up, gather all of the ingredients: butter, brown sugar, egg, molasses, flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ground ginger, cloves, salt and turbinado sugar.


In a stand mixer cream the butter. Then add in the sugar, blend well, and then add in the egg and molasses. The mixture should be light and fluffy. Be sure to scrape your mixing bowl. I don't know about you but my mixer misses a teeny tiny spot at the bottom of the bowl so I always need to scrape the bowl. Set aside.


In a separate bowl, whisk the dry ingredients together. Then add this to the mixer in batches. When well blended, chill dough for 1 hour. Don't skip this step or you will have very flat cookies!


Using a small scoop or spoon, scoop out the dough to form a generous tablespoon.


Add turbinado sugar to a plate. Roll cookie dough ball into sugar so that it is completely covered.

Place on a lined baking sheet. I used a Silpat mat but you can use parchment paper too. Space balls at least 3" a part as they will spread. Bake for 9 minutes at 375 degrees rotating the cookie sheet halfway through the cooking time.


Cool on a wire rack. Enjoy!

Grandma's verdict: "Yummy! They taste like the one you get at the store." I really liked the recipe too. They were spice filled but not too molasses-y.

Ginger Molasses Cookies

Ingredients:

3/4 c. unsalted butter, softened
1 c. light brown sugar, packed
1 egg, beaten
1/4 c. unsulfured molasses
2 c. flour
2 t. baking soda
1 t. cinnamon
1 t. ground ginger
1/2 t. ground cloves
1/4 t. salt
1 c. turbinado sugar

Directions:

 In the bowl of an electric mixer with a paddle attachment, cream the butter until light and fluffy. Add in the brown sugar and blend until evenly incorporated. Add in the beaten egg and molasses; blend.

In a separate mixing bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ground ginger, ground cloves and salt. Add the dry ingredient to the mixer in batches, scraping the bowl after each addition. Chill the dough, covered, for 1 hour (or if you are in a rush you can freeze the dough for 30 minutes).

Scoop out the dough using a tablespoon or small scoop. Roll the dough  ball in the turbinado sugar. Place on a lined baking sheet, about 3" apart. Bake the cookies at 375 degrees for 9 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through the cooking time.

No comments:

Post a Comment