Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Buttercream


When we visited my friend Amanda and her new baby in the hospital I brought cupcakes to celebrate. It was a birthday afterall and it is a cardinal rule that you have to have cake on a birthday. I made Funfetti cupcakes from a box but then made the frosting from scratch using this recipe and directions from Savory Sweet Life.

I made the buttercream a little softer than normal because I wanted a light and fluffy texture. I also added a few drops of pink food coloring to celebrate the new baby girl. I think it's the best buttercream frosting recipe that I have come across. It took less than 5 minutes to make and definitely beats frosting from a can!

Classic Buttercream Frosting

Ingredients:

1 c. unsalted butter (2 sticks), softened (but not melted!) Ideal texture should be like ice cream.
3-4 c. confectioners (powdered) sugar, SIFTED
1/4 t. table salt
1 T. vanilla extract
up to 4 tablespoons milk or heavy cream
 
Instructions:
 
Beat butter for a few minutes with a mixer with the paddle attachment on medium speed. Add 3 cups of powdered sugar and turn your mixer on the lowest speed (so the sugar doesn’t blow everywhere) until the sugar has been incorporated with the butter. Increase mixer speed to medium and add vanilla extract, salt, and 2 tablespoons of milk/cream and beat for 3 minutes. If your frosting needs a more stiff consistency, add remaining sugar. If your frosting needs to be thinned out, add remaining milk 1 tablespoons at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment