Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Tuesday Tips - Cleaning Ceiling Fans


I never seem to remember to clean anything above my eye level. The tops of doors, the tops of pictures hung on the wall, and ceiling fans. Luckily we only have one ceiling fan in the house. I remember cleaning it before, I just can't remember how long ago. We've been in our house for 6 years now so it could have been years ago...scary.


While lying in bed the other night I noticed a dust bunny hanging precariously from one of the blades. We don't ever use the fan but I decided it was time to get rid of it before it falls down on top of me in the middle of the night and I inhale it. My organizational idol Martha Stewart recommends using a pillow case to both clean the top of the fan and to catch any falling dust. All you do is place the pillow case onto a blade of the fan and wipe.


Here is the inside of the pillow case when I was finished. Pretty gross, huh?

 
Be sure to put a drop cloth of sheet down beneath the fan to catch any runaway dust bunnies. I caught several. I may have to put a reminder on my calendar to do this more than every few years. It was pretty icky. 

No comments:

Post a Comment