Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Correction: Tuesday Tips - Toasting Coconut

1/10 - Correction: Oops! I accidentally wrote to microwave in 1 minute intervals. I meant 30 seconds!!!! Sorry!
 
I've always toasted coconut in the oven. It's how most all recipes tell you to do it. I was reading a Bon Appetit magazine article the other day that recommended microwaving the coconut to toast it. Wha-at? This I had to try!

 
Start by spreading your coconut onto a microwave-safe plate.

 
Microwave on high for one minute 30 seconds. Remove, stir around the coconut, and return to the microwave for another minute. The coconut will start to brown from the bottom up.
 

Continue microwaving in 1 minute 30 second intervals until you have your desired toasty-ness. Just be sure to stir in between the intervals!

It was amazing how quickly this process went! I did half of a bag of coconut in about 3 minutes. The microwave cooks from the inside out so the flakes were super crisp unlike the oven where it is golden on the outside but still limp. The house also smelled amazing. Love love love this new toasting trick!

2 comments:

  1. I love coconut! I will have to try this. It looks yummy and I bet it would taste great on ice cream! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a brilliant idea! I might have to try that...right now. Is it too early for ice cream? :-)

    ReplyDelete