Thursday, October 3, 2013

Roasted Tomato Paste


My neighbor Geri laughed when I told her about accidentally picking too many tomatoes. I'm glad I told her because she told me about making your own tomato paste. I never thought about doing that! Simply slice up the tomatoes, toss them with olive oil and sprinkle generously with Kosher salt. Bake at 325 degrees for 6-8 hours. After a couple of hours the tomatoes will expel all of their juices and it will look like a juicy mess. Keep cooking! Keep the tomatoes in the oven until the juices all evaporate and the tomatoes start to char. Remove from the oven and cool. Puree in a blender or food processor until smooth.

Geri plucks the skins off of the tomatoes once they get juicy. I tried plucking them off and leaving them on and didn't see a noticeable difference so left the skins on for all later batches.

No comments:

Post a Comment