Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Applesauce

Applesauce is a staple in our house. The kids love it. The hubby loves it. I love it. Typically we buy the sugar free stuff. Or the cool pouch kind which are great for when you are on the road.

Since I am home now I decided to make some from scratch. I searched for a recipe online and wow...there are a million ways to make applesauce. I settled on the following: 

4 apples, peeled, cored & cut into large chunks
1/2 c. water
1/2 t. cinnamon

Boil everything for about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool. Almost every recipe I found said to use a potato masher and mash to the consistency you like. I tripled the recipe so wasn't about to mash it all by hand. Instead I whipped out the handy immersion blender and it got the job done in no time.

I found that the applesauce was a bit liquidy at first but thickened once it completely cooled. It's one of the easiest things to make! Too bad I didn't think of doing this until the end of apple season. Hopefully I will be able to find some apples on sale to make more! The family loved it!

 Next time I am going to try adding vanilla extract. According to my friend Holly it makes the applesauce taste like it is sweetened without actually adding in any sugar!

No comments:

Post a Comment