Thursday, February 23, 2012

Marshmallow Crunch Brownie Bars


The moment I saw these brownies on the Brown Eyed Baker website I knew I had to make them. Sometimes I get such high expectations for a recipe but then it ends up being a bit of a let down. Boy these weren't! They exceeded my expectations! I've made them on numerous occasions and they have always been a hit. They are fudgey, chewy, gooey and crunchy...what more can you ask for?

I decided that these would be the perfect compliment to my care packages for some of my poor dorm food eating family members away at college. Short on time I admit I used a boxed brownie mix instead of making the brownies from scratch. Surprisingly it doesn't seem to be lacking anything! Here's how to do the shortcut version of this recipe:


Follow the instructions on the box of brownie mix. Bake. Add the marshmallows and return to the oven for 3 minutes. (Yes, that is my oven and yes it is filthy. A bacon cooking splattering that I haven't yet brought myself to clean. Sorry.)


The marshmallows will puff up into a gooey pillowy yuminess. Be sure to set a timer. I didn't once and forgot about the brownies. The marshmallows created a sticky charcoal mess all over the oven. (A worse mess than the bacon explosion)


Add the chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter to a saucepan and melt. Stir constantly to avoid burning the chocolate.


Stir in the Rice Krispies and set aside to cool.

Smooth the chocolate mixture on top of the marshmallows. You might melt the marshmallows a bit if the chocolate is too warm. Don't worry as it you won't be able to tell once the brownies are cut into squares.


Cool completely then refrigerate to set the chocolate. Cut and serve!


Marshmallow Crunch Brownie Bars

Brownie mix + ingredients the mix requires
1 bag (10 1/2 oz.) miniature marshmallows
1 1/2 c. milk chocolate chips
1 c. smooth peanut butter (don't use natural peanut butter)
1 T. unsalted butter
1 1/2 c. Rice Krispies cereal

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9x13-inch pan.

Follow the instructions on the brownie mix and bake.

Once the brownies are cooked through sprinkle the marshmallows on top and return to the oven for 3 more minutes.

Meanwhile, in a small saucepan melt the chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter. Stir constantly until completely smooth and melted. Remove from heat and add the Rice Krispies and mix well. Cool for a few minutes.

Spread the chocolate mixture over the marshmallow layer. Cool completely and then refrigerate until chocolate is set before cutting.

No comments:

Post a Comment